As a church leader, what should I do when someone I lead feels called to missions? I’m so excited that members of our body are seeking to live out the Great Commission cross-culturally, where do I begin to support them as they respond to God’s call? Who should I involve? How do we as leaders help to SEND them out?
Here at MSC Canada we’re committed to a model of missions that has God’s glory through the local church at the centre. If that’s your heart too, keep reading – we exist to encourage and enable local church leaders like you!
Before anything else, one vital note: Remember to pray! What we all want is for God to do the work only He can – rescuing sinners, lavishing His grace, giving strength and wisdom to disciple others – and these things will happen in response to the fervent, earnest prayers of His people.
The process begins as you ASSESS the candidate.
- Pray with, love, and encourage them.
- Have an interview and ask the tough questions.
- Fill out questionnaires.
- Notify MSC.
PREPARE as a church to send this worker out.
- Plan out commendation.
- Help your worker consider logistics and training options.
- Let us help you with the legal, logistical, and financial setup.
Send them off properly as you COMMEND them.
- Consider Acts 14:26.
- Rally your church behind the worker.
- Write and submit a Letter of Commendation.
- You and your worker meet with MSC.
Share in the work as you SUPPORT your worker.
- Provide spiritual care, direction, and accountability.
- Encourage them with stories of God’s work “back home.”
- Be the means of God’s provision for their needs.
EXTENDED TERM (more than six months) LONG TERM (permanent or indefinite relocation)